Dr. Jim Heitholt
Professor and Crop Physiologist, Department of Agricultural Sciences
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011, Commerce, TX 75429
- 1980‑1984 University of Kentucky, Ph.D. Crop Science, 1984
- 1978‑1980 University of Missouri, M.S. Agronomy, 1980
- 1974‑1978 Western Illinois University, B.S. Agricultural Sciences, 1978
Teaching-Texas A&M Commerce (1999-present)
- Botany BSC 1411. Objectives are to introduce students to the structure and function of plants as well as their diversity and ecology. Topics covered include plant cellular and gross anatomy, plant physiology and biochemistry, genetics, evolution, classification, and biogeography.
- Introduction to Plant Science PlS 115. Objectives are:
- to know the fundamentals of plant science that facilitate plant growth
- to understand how plants are cultured
- how plants interact with the environment
- to teach students the importance of plant growth and agricultural practices
- to demonstrate how plants affect human and animal nutrition, rural economics, world sociological events.
Four semester hours.
- Crop Physiology PlS 381 (undergrad) and Advanced Crop Physiology PLS 502 (grad). Objective is to convey the biochemical, anatomical, and morphological properties that facilitate crop development and explain factors that govern crop yield, three semester hours.
- Agricultural and Biological Instrumentation (PlS 501). Objective is to teach the different instruments and methods used to quantify variables in life sciences, three semester hours.
- Research Literature and Techniques (Ag 595) and Scientific Methods in Agricultural Research (Ag 532). Objective is to teach graduate students how to organize and write their theses, three semester hours.
- Design and Analysis of Biological Experiments (AG 505), three semester hours.
a. Describe the three major characteristics of a scientific experiment.
b. Calculate variance and standard deviation from a data set.
c. Perform a t-test to determine whether means are significantly different.
d. Explain the difference between completely randomized design, randomized complete block design, split-plots, and Latin square.
e. Be able to select the correct error term when performing an F-test on the effects of selected sources of variation.
f. Explain the assumptions necessary to perform an ANOVA.
g. Construct a regression analysis table to describe the relationship between two variables.
h. Describe the appropriate ways to transform data that are not normally distributed or where heterogeneity of variance exists.
- Graduate Seminar
Objective is improve the presentation skills and poise of students presenting their own findings as well as presentation of general agricultural issues.
Research, Teaching, Administration:
2014 - present - Professor and Crop Physiologist, Department of Agricultural Sciences, TAMU-Commerce and Texas AgriLife Research.
2008 – 2014 – Professor (and Head) Department of Agricultural Sciences, TAMU-Commerce and Crop Physiologist, Texas AgriLife Research.
2006 - 2008, Professor and Crop Physiologist, Texas AgriLife Research, Dallas with 10% Teaching Appointment, TAMU-Commerce, Agric. Sci. Dept.
1999 - 2005, Associate Professor and Soybean Agronomist, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Dallas, TX
1988 ‑ 1999, Plant Physiologist, Crop Genetics and Production Research Unit, USDA ‑ ARS, Stoneville, MS
1987 ‑ 1988, Research Associate, Foreign Disease ‑ Weed Science Research Unit,
USDA ‑ ARS, Frederick, MD
1984 ‑ 1987, Research Associate, Dept. of Agronomy, Okla. State Univ., Stillwater, OK
1980 ‑ 1984, Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Agronomy, Univ. of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
1978 ‑ 1980, Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Agronomy, Univ. Missouri‑Columbia
Research Project Interests
- Crop physiology, with particular interest in soybean genotype evaluation and breeding
- Screening the soybean germplasm Collection for tolerance to redbanded stink bug
- Comparing yield of vegetable cultivars for sweet corn, edamame, and broccoli
- Heitholt, J.J., D. Kee, J.J. Sloan, C.T. MacKown, S. Metz, A.L. Kee, and R.L. Sutton. 2007. Soil-applied nitrogen and composted manure effects on soybean hay quality and grain yield. J. Plant Nutr. 30:1717-1726.
- Heitholt, J.J. and J.J. Sloan. 2006. Enhancement of vegetable crop growth with biosolids and yard-waste compost on a calcareous clay soil. Texas J. Agric. Natural Resour. 19:80-92.
- Heitholt, J.J., J.B. Farr, A.E. Knutson, and B. Langston. 2006. Early-season thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) control and soybean yield in north Texas. Southwestern Entomologist. 31:113-120.
- Heitholt, J.J., J.B. Farr, and R. Eason. 2005. Cultivar-by-planting configuration effects on soybean in low-yield environments. Crop Sci. 45:1800-1808.
- Heitholt, J.J., J.B. Farr, and R.L. Sutton. 2005. Risk management in north Texas soybean: mid-March soybean plantings uncertain; maturity group IV cultivars reliable. Online. Crop Management. doi:1094/cm-2005-0329-01-RS.
- Heitholt, J.J., D. Kee, J.B. Farr, J. Read, S. Metz, and C.T. MacKown. 2004. Forage from soybean provides an alternative to its poor grain yield in the southern Great Plains. Online. Crop Management. doi: 10.1094/ CM-2004-0406-01-RS.
- Heitholt, J.J., J.J. Sloan, C.T. MacKown, and R. Cabrera. 2003. Soybean growth on a calcareous soil as affected by three iron sources. J. Plant Nutr. 26:935-948.
- Heitholt, J.J., J.J. Sloan, and C.T. MacKown. 2002. Copper, manganese, and zinc fertilization effects on growth of soybean on a calcareous soil. J. Plant Nutr. 25:1727-1740.
- Heitholt, J.J., J.H. Schmidt, and J.E. Mulrooney. 2001. Effect of foliar-applied salicylic acid on cotton flowering, boll retention, and yield. J. Miss. Acad. Sci. 46:105-109.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1999. Cotton: Factors associated with assimilation capacity, flower production, boll set, and yield. pp. 235-269. In Smith, D.L. and C. Hamel (eds.). Crop yield: Physiology and Processes. Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Heitholt, J.J., W.R. Meredith, Jr., and S.T. Rayburn. 1999. Leaf area index response of modern and obsolete cotton cultivars at two nitrogen levels. J. Plant Nutr. 21:2319-2328.
- Heitholt, J.J. and W.R. Meredith, Jr. 1998. Yield, flowering, and leaf area index of okra-leaf and normal-leaf cotton isolines. Crop Sci. 38:643-648.
- Heitholt, J.J. and W.R. Meredith, Jr. 1998. Factors affecting yield of okra-leaf cotton types in the Mississippi Delta. Proceedings World Cotton Res. Conf. - 2. Athens, Greece, 6-12 Sept., pp. 502-505.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1997. Floral bud removal from specific fruiting positions in cotton: Yield and fiber quality. Crop Sci. 37:826-832.
- Heitholt, J.J., W.R. Meredith, Jr., and J.R. Williford. 1996. Comparison of cotton genotypes varying in canopy characteristics in 76-cm and 102-cm rows. Crop Sci. 36:955-960.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1995. Cotton flowering and boll retention in different planting configurations and leaf shapes. Agron. J. 87:994-998.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1994. Comparison of adjuvant effects on cotton leaf potassium concentration and lint yield. J. Plant Nutr. 17:2221-2233.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1994. Canopy characteristics associated with deficient and excessive cotton plant densities. Crop Sci. 34:1291-1297.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1994. Effects of foliar urea- and triazone-nitrogen, with and without boron, on cotton. J. Plant Nutr. 17:57-70.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1994. Supplemental boron, boll retention percentage, ovary carbohydrates, and lint yield of modern cotton genotypes. Agron. J. 86:492-497.
- Heitholt, J.J. and J.H. Schmidt. 1994. Receptacle and ovary assimilate concentrations and subsequent boll retention in cotton. Crop Sci. 34:125-131.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1993. Cotton boll retention and its relationship to lint yield. Crop Sci. 33:486-490.
- Heitholt J.J., W.T. Pettigrew, and W.R. Meredith, Jr. 1993. Growth, boll opening rate, and fiber properties of narrow row cotton. Agron. J. 85:590-594.
- Heitholt, J.J., W.T. Pettigrew, and W.R. Meredith, Jr. 1992. Light interception and lint yield of narrow row cotton. Crop Sci. 32:728-733.
- Heitholt, J.J., R.C. Johnson, and D.M. Ferris. 1991. Stomatal limitation to carbon dioxide assimilation in nitrogen- and drought-stressed wheat. Crop Sci. 31:135-139.
- Heitholt, J.J., R.H. Hodgson, and T.J. Tworkoski. 1990. Toxicity and uptake of nitroguanidine in plants. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 44:751-758.
- Heitholt, J.J., L.I. Croy, N.O. Maness, and H.T. Nguyen. 1990. Nitrogen partitioning in genotypes of winter wheat differing in grain N concentration. Field Crops Res. 23:133-144.
- Heitholt, J.J. 1989. Water use efficiency and dry matter distribution in nitrogen- and water-stressed winter wheat. Agron. J. 81:464-469.
- Heitholt, J.J., D.B. Egli, and J.E. Leggett. 1986. Characteristics of reproductive abortion in soybean. Crop Sci. 26:589-595.
- Heitholt, J.J., D.B. Egli, J.E. Leggett, and C.T. MacKown. 1986. Role of assimilate and carbon-14 photosynthate partitioning in soybean reproductive abortion. Crop Sci. 26:999-1004.
- Heitholt, J.J. and D.B. Egli. 1985. Influence of deflowering on dry matter production of soybeans. Field Crops Res. 12:163-173.
- Wherley, B., J. Heitholt, A. Chandra, and P. Skulkaew. 2014. Supplemental irrigation requirements of zoysiagrass and bermudagrass cultivars. Crop Sci 54: (in press).
- Washburn, J.D., D.K. Whitmire, S.C. Murray, B.L. Burson, T.A. Wickersham, J.J. Heitholt, R.W. Jessup. 2013. Estimation of rhizome composition and over-wintering ability in perennial Sorghum spp. using near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS). BioEnergy Res. 6:822-829.
- Reinert, J.A., M.C. Engelke, and J.J. Heitholt. 2011. Hunting billbug (Coleoptera:Curculionidae) resistance among zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.) cultivars. Florida Entomologist 94:613-621.
- Campos, M., A. Knutson, J. Heitholt, and C. Campos. 2010. Resistance to seed feeding by southern green stink bug, Nezara viridula (Linnaeus), in soybean, Glycine max (L.) Merrill. Southwestern Entomol. 35:233-239.
- Ibrahim, A.M.H., J. Johnson, R. Sutton, G. Morgan, J. Rudd, L. R. Nelson, A. Knutson, J. J. Heitholt, and G. D. Buntin. 2010. Registration of ‘TAMsoft 700’ Wheat. J. Plant Registr. 4:50–54.
- Stewart, J. McD., D.M. Oosterhuis, J.J. Heitholt, and J. R. Mauney. 2009. Physiology of Cotton. Springer Inc., Dordrecht, Netherlands. 564 pp.
- MacKown, C.T., J.J. Heitholt, S.C. Rao. 2007. Agronomic feasibility of a continuous double crop of winter wheat and soybean forage in the Southern Great Plains. Crop Sci. 47: 1652-1660.
- Reinert, J.A., J. McCoy, B.M. Drees, K. Schofield and J.J. Heitholt. 2007. Fire ant management in urban landscapes with broadcast treatments. Proc. 2007 Annu. Imported Fire Ant Conf. 23-25 April 2007, Gainesville, FL. p. 102-108.
- Sloan, J.J., M.C. Engelke, and J.J. Heitholt. 2005. Turf response to Superferrite fertilizer in contrasting soil types. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 30:2641-2655.
- Colbaugh, P.F., E.A. Williams, J.A. McAfee, and J.J. Heitholt. 2005. Use of Sphagnum peat moss topdressing to control take-all root rot of St. Augustinegrass (Stenotaphrum secundatum). Internat. Turf. Soc. Res. J. 10:170-174.
- Davidonis, G.H., O.A. Richard, B.F. Ingber, W.R. Meredith, and J.J. Heitholt. 2005. The influence of cotton seed weight on fibers per seed and fiber property uniformity. J. New Seeds 7(3):1-13 (online doi: 10.1300/J153v07n03_01).
- Reinert, J.A., J.C. Read, J. McCoy, J.J. Heitholt, and R.J. Bauernfeind. 2005. Susceptibility of Poa spp. to bluegrass billbug (Sphenophorus parvulus). Int. Turfgrass Soc. Res. J. 10:772-778.
- Egli, D.B., D.M. TeKrony, J.J. Heitholt and J. Rupe. 2005. Air temperature during seed filling and soybean seed germination and vigor. Crop Sci. 45:1329-1335. doi:10.2135/cropsci2004.0029.
- Abbas, H.K., C.T. Bryson, and J.J. Heitholt. 1999. Edema on tropical soda apple (Solanum viarum) and sticky nightshade (Solanum sisymbriifolium). J. Miss. Acad. Sci. 44:121-127.
- Meredith, W.R., Jr., J.J. Heitholt, W.T. Pettigrew, and S.T. Rayburn. 1997. Comparison of obsolete and modern cotton cultivars at two nitrogen levels. Crop Sci. 37:1453-1457.
- Meredith, W.R., Jr., W.T. Pettigrew, and J.J. Heitholt. 1996. Sub-okra, semi-smoothness, and nectariless effect on cotton performance. Crop Sci. 36: 22-25.
- Pettigrew, W.T., J.J. Heitholt, and W.R. Meredith, Jr. 1996. Genotypic interaction with potassium and nitrogen in cotton of varied maturity. Agron. J. 88: 89-93.
- van Iersel, M.W., J.J. Heitholt, R. Wells, and D.M. Oosterhuis. 1995. Foliar methanol applications to cotton in the southeastern United States: leaf physiology, growth, and yield components. Agron. J. 87:1157-1160.
- Madsen, K.H., J.J. Heitholt, S.O. Duke, R.J. Smeda, and J.C. Streibig. 1995. Photosynthetic parameters in glyphosate-treated sugarbeets (Beta vulgaris L.). Weed Research 35:81-88.
- Nimbal, C.I., J.J. Heitholt, D.R. Shaw, and S.O. Duke. 1995. Photosynthetic performance of MSMA-resistant and -susceptible Mississippi biotypes of common cocklebur. Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 53:129-137.
- Amagasa, T., R.N. Paul, J.J. Heitholt, and S.O. Duke. 1994. Physiological effects of cornexistin on Lemna pausicostata. Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 49:37-52.
- Pettigrew, W.T., J.J. Heitholt, and W.R. Meredith, Jr. 1993. Early season ethephon application effects on cotton photosynthesis. Agron. J. 85:821-825.
- Pettigrew, W.T., J.J. Heitholt, and K.C. Vaughn. 1993. Gas exchange differences and comparative anatomy among cotton leaf-type isolines. Crop Sci. 33:1295-1299.
- Pettigrew, W.T., J.J. Heitholt, and W.R. Meredith, Jr. 1992. Early season floral bud removal and cotton growth, yield, and fiber quality. Agron. J. 84:209-214.
- Egli, D.B., R.D. Guffy, and J.J. Heitholt. 1987. Factors associated with lower yields of delayed plantings of soybean. Zeitschrift fur Ackerund (Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science) 159:176-185.
- Johnson, R.C., D.W. Mornhinweg, J.J. Heitholt, and D.M. Ferris. 1987. Leaf photosynthesis and conductance of selected Triticum species at different water potentials. Plant Physiol. 83:1014-1017.
- Triplett, E.W., J.J. Heitholt, K.B. Evensen, and D.G. Blevins. 1981. Increases in internode length of Phaseolus lunatus L. caused by inoculation with a nitrate reductase-deficient strain of Rhizobium sp. Plant Physiol. 67:1-4.