Dr. Karen Roggenkamp
Professor of English
Phone: (903) 886-5251
Office: HL 315
- English 441, Survey of American Literature I
- English 507, Narrative Transformations in Literature for Children and Adolescents
- Ph.D. in English, University of Minnesota, with supporting program in Journalism
- A.B. in English, University of Michigan, with High Distinction and High Honors in English
Research and Teaching Interests
- American periodical studies and print culture
- History of children's literature
- 1930s documentary narrative
- Book. Sympathy, Madness, and Crime: How Four Nineteenth-Century Journalists Made the Newspaper Women's Work (Kent State University Press, 2016)
- Book. Narrating the News: New Journalism and Literary Genre in Late Nineteenth-Century American Newspapers and Fiction (Kent State University Press, 2005)
- Book chapter, forthcoming 2016. "Jack London and American Newspaper Culture," for The Oxford Handbook of Jack London, Oxford University Press
- Book chapter, forthcoming 2016. "Lizzie Borden, Spinster on Trial: Journalism, Literature, and the Borden Trial," for Arresting Developments: The Centrality of Crime Fiction in American Literary Culture, ed. Alfred Bendixen and Olivia Carr Edenfield, Routledge University Press
- Bibliographic essays, "Nathaniel Hawthorne," for American Literary Scholarship (Duke University Press, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Article. "Elizabeth Jordan, 'True Stories of the News,' and Newspaper Fiction in Late Nineteenth-Century American Journalism," in Literature and Journalism: Inspirations, Intersections, and Inventions from Ben Franklin to Stephen Colbert, ed. Mark Canada (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013): 119-141.
- Article. "Reasonable Conversions: Susanna Rowson's Mentoria and Conversion Narratives for Young Readers," Studies in American Fiction 38 (2011): 185-203.
- Article. "Richard Wright's Twelve Million Black Voices: Refiguring the American Jeremiad," Langston Hughes Review 24-25 (2010-2011): 138-149.
- Article. "Seeing Inside the Mountains: Cynthia Rylant's Appalachian Literature and the 'Hillbilly' Stereotype," Lion and the Unicorn 32 (2008): 191-214.
- Article. "Campaigning for the Literary Marketplace: Nathaniel Hawthorne, David Bartlett, and the Life of Franklin Pierce," American Transcendental Quarterly 22 (2008): 365-379.
- Article. "Sympathy and Sensation: Elizabeth Jordan, Lizzie Borden, and the Female Reporter in Late Nineteenth-Century Newspaper Fictions and Journalism," American Literary Realism 40 (2007): 32-51.
- Article. "The Short-Story Cycle and the Western Gothic in John Steinbeck's The Pastures of Heaven," Steinbeck Review 4 (2007): 19-31.
- Article. "Dignified Sensationalism: Cosmopolitan, Elizabeth Bisland, and Trips around the World," American Periodicals 17 (2007): 26-40.
Co-editor, American Periodicals, scholarly journal of the Research Society for American Periodicals, 2010 - 2015.