[ Home] [ Courseware ]
Welcome to the class home page for all sections of ETEC 579 - Administration of Media Technology Programs
CRN 01W: 20303
CRN 02W: 22700
NOTICE: A second section of ETEC 579 has been opened for the Spring 2009 semester. If you need this course, please sign up for the section in which fewer students are enrolled. Both sections are entirely online with a limit of 20. The two course sections are identical. It doesn't matter which section you are registered for. Students may be shifted between sections as necessary to "load balance" the course.
Q: Where and when do I access the course?
A: The course will be conducted in eCollege with some resources provided on this 'public' page. The direct link to eCollege is http://online.tamuc.org/. The course will be accessible on the first day of scheduled class. At that time, you will need to log in and follow the posted instructions.
Multimedia Content (projects addressed subject to revision)
Example Projects (projects subject to revision)
Schmidt, William D. & Rieck, Donald Arthur. (2000) Managing media services : Theory and practice (2nd ed.) Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, Inc.
ISBN: 1-56308-530-5 (2nd ed.)
On-line Text (direct link to Schmidt-Rieck book) You will need to connect to this book via our library portal if you do not yet have a free NetLibrary account established.
NetLibrary Home (you can login from here if direct link above does not work)
This is an online textbook freely accessible to TAMU-C students; therefore, no hardcopies are requested to be stocked by the university bookstores. Further, this book is now officially out of print so finding a hard copy might present a challenge, but, if you're up the hunt you can try places such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, eBay or any one of a variety of on-line sources. As a reference, the going price for a new text when still in print, was $58.00. Prices for OOP books can vary greatly. If you find a new one for less that this, it's probably a good deal. I've seen them in the $80-$90 range. I have also see them on eBay in the $20-$30 range.
Publication manual of the American
Psychological Association. (5th ed.). (2001). Washington, DC: American
ISBN: 1-55798-791-2 (paperback)
The APA manual is available from practically any booksource. As a graduate student you most likely already have this book unless you are relatively new in your program. If you don't have it, get it now. If you're in a Doctoral program and don't have it already, shame on you. ;-) You can't write a dissertation without it!
This is a "Web-Based" course.
Student Chapter Presentations - Selected Power Point presentations produced by students of this course in prior semesters. (... just in case you're interested.)
Technology Plans: Planning for Progress
Technology Plans: Planning for Progress (.ppt)
Sample Computer Hardware & Software Inventory Form (.doc)
Networking Basics (.ppt)
FAQ for TAMU-C Online Courses
Possibly Useful Sites
Funding Sources & Opportunities
- FundsNet Services - Lists many grant making entities.
- GE Foundation (General Electric)
- GMability Community Involvement (General Motors)
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Texas Commission on the Arts
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission - Funding for Libraries (some funding requires approved Tech Plan)
- PowerPoint Viewer for Windows 9x & newer OS versions.
- PowerPoint Viewer for Macintosh.
- PowerPoint Office Animation Plug-in (enables PP animations in IE 5.0 without PP.)
APA Style Help
- Digital Copyright Slider (good especially for Library)
- Fair Use and Copyright for Teachers
- Lakhan, S. & Khurana, M. (2008). Intellectual property, copyright, & fair use in education. Academic Leadership, 6(4).
National Science Foundation
North Central Regional Education Laboratory
- NCREL - Technology in Education
- NCREL - Developing a School or District Technology Plan - includes several sample plans.
- NCREL - Guiding Questions for Technology Planning
- NCREL - Leadership and Learning with Technology
- NCREL - enGauge
- NCREL - enGauge - Technology Funding Links, Resources, and Sample Budgets.
Free On-line Virus Scanners
- Housecall from Trend Micro
Possibly Un-useful Sites
Department of Educational Leadership
College of Education and Human Services
Texas A&M University-Commerce