[ Home] [ Courseware ]
Welcome to the class home page for ETEC 579 - Administration of Media Technology Programs
Q: Where and when do I access the course?
A: The course will be conducted in eCollege with some resources provided on this 'public' page. The direct link to eCollege is http://online.tamuc.org/. The course will be accessible on the first day of scheduled class. At that time, you will need to log in and follow the posted instructions.
Syllabus (pdf) Subject to revision prior to first class day.
Required (either access to free on-line holding via Gee Library or optional purchase):
Schmidt, William D. & Rieck,
Donald Arthur. (2000) Managing media services : Theory and practice (2nd ed.)
Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, Inc.
ISBN: 1-56308-530-5 (2nd ed.)
Online Text Record in A&M-Commerce Libraries
On-line Text (direct link to Schmidt-Rieck book) You will need to connect to this book via our library portal if you do not yet have a free NetLibrary account established.
NetLibrary Home (you can login from here if direct link above does not work)
This is an online textbook freely accessible to TAMU-C students; therefore, PURCHASE IS OPTIONAL and no hardcopies have been requested to be stocked by the university bookstores. Further, this book is now officially out of print so finding a hard copy might present a challenge, but, if you're up the hunt you can try places such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, eBay or any one of a variety of on-line sources. As a reference, the going price for a new text when still in print, was $58.00. Prices for OOP books can vary greatly. If you find a new one for less that this, it's probably a good deal. I've seen them in the $80-$90 range. I have also see them on eBay in the $20-$30 range.
Publication manual of the American
Psychological Association. (5th ed.). (2001). Washington, DC: American
ISBN: 1-55798-791-2 (paperback)
The APA manual is available from practically any booksource. As a graduate student you most likely already have this book unless you are relatively new in your program. If you don't have it, get it now. If you're in a Doctoral program and don't have it already, shame on you. ;-) You can't write a dissertation in Ed. Leadership without it! Note: 6th edition may also be used, although it has not been officially adopted by the Department of Educational Leadership.
Multimedia Content (Project assignments have been revised since these video clips were produced; however, they do contain much useful and relevant information.)
Example Projects (Project assignments have been revised since these samples were produced.)
This is a "Web-Based" course.
Student Chapter Presentations - Selected Power Point presentations produced by students of this course in prior semesters. (... just in case you're interested.)
Technology Plans: Planning for Progress
Technology Plans: Planning for Progress (.ppt)
Sample Computer Hardware & Software Inventory Form (.doc)
Networking Basics (.ppt)
FAQ for TAMU-C Online Courses
Possibly Useful Sites
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) & Related Resources
Funding Sources & Opportunities
- FundsNet Services - Lists many grant making entities.
- GE Foundation (General Electric)
- GMability Community Involvement (General Motors)
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Texas Commission on the Arts
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission - Funding for Libraries (some funding requires approved Tech Plan)
- PowerPoint Viewer for Windows 9x & newer OS versions.
- PowerPoint Viewer for Macintosh.
- PowerPoint Office Animation Plug-in (enables PP animations in IE 5.0 without PP.)
APA Style Help
- Digital Copyright Slider (good especially for Library)
- Fair Use and Copyright for Teachers
- Lakhan, S. & Khurana, M. (2008). Intellectual property, copyright, & fair use in education. Academic Leadership, 6(4).
National Science Foundation
North Central Regional Education Laboratory
- NCREL - Technology in Education
- NCREL - Developing a School or District Technology Plan - includes several sample plans.
- NCREL - Guiding Questions for Technology Planning
- NCREL - Leadership and Learning with Technology
- NCREL - enGauge
- NCREL - enGauge - Technology Funding Links, Resources, and Sample Budgets.
Free On-line Virus Scanners
- Housecall from Trend Micro
Possibly Un-useful Sites
Department of Educational Leadership
College of Education and Human Services
Texas A&M University-Commerce