I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems at the Texas A&M University-Commerce since Fall 2012. My main research areas span from systems to networks, in regard to performance, scalability, and security.
Prior to joining TAMU-Commerce, I was an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania in AY 2011-2012, after my postdoctoral research at Scientific Data Management Research Group at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory for 1.5 years. I received my Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, under the guidance of Dr. Jon B. Weissman and Dr. Abhishek Chandra. Prior to that, I was a senior researcher at ETRI, a national lab in Korea, and mainly worked on broadband networking system/network management and network security over ten years.
- 02/22/2018: Guest talk "Recent R&D Efforts for Data Analysis and Management in Scientific Data Management" by Alex Sim (Senior Computing Engineer at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory): 10AM on Thursday, March 1st (CS/JOUR 234).
- 01/08/2018: A workshop proposal for SNTA'18 (Scalable Network Traffic Analytics 2018) has been accpeted by ICDCS 2018. Dr. Kim will organize the workshop with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory: Submission link here.
- 09/18/2017: A paper of "An Empirical Evaluation of Deep Learning for Network Anomaly Detection" has been accepted for the ICNC'18 NAPE conference.
- 08/09/2017: An article of "A Survey of Deep Learning-based Network Anomaly Detection" has been accepted for publication in Cluster Computing (online available here).
- More news.....
Grants & Supports:
- Data-intensive computing, distributed systems, Cloud/Grid computing
- Network traffic measurement and analysis, network security and forensics
- Big-data computing, analytics, applications
- (PI) Research on Intelligent Analysis Technology of Abnormal Network Traffic on Cloud
Environment, funded by ETRI, $50,000, May 2017–November 2017
- (PI) Research on Machine Learning Models for Network Traffic Anomaly Analysis, funded
by ETRI, $48,000, July 2016–January 2017
- (PI) Research on Network Traffic Classification, its Implementation and Benchmarking,
funded by Sysmate Inc., $193,723, September 2012–April 2015
- (PI) Research on Big-data Computing Platforms for Security Event Analysis, funded by
ETRI, $122,000, June 2013-February 2015
Details of my research can be found here.
Publication record can be found: List of publications, DBLP, Google Scholar
Courses mainly taught:
- CSCI 434 Computer Networks
- CSCI 530 Operating Systems
- CSCI 563 Information Security
- CSCI 568 Cryptography
- CSCI 581 Network Security
- CSCI 595 Research Lit. & Techniques
Membership: Member of ACM, IEEE, SDPS, KSEA
- First International Workshop of Scalable Network Traffic Analytics (SNTA 2018)
- 2018: IEEE BigDataService, IEEE SCI, ACM HPDC/AI-Science, IARIA INFOCOMP, IARIA ICNS
- 2017: IEEE NAS, IEEE SCI, IARIA INFOCOMP
- 2016: IEEE CCBD, IARIA INFOCOMP
- 2015: IEEE/ACM SC/NDM, IEEE CCBD, IARIA INFOCOMP
- 2014: IEEE/ACM SC/NDM, IARIA INFOCOMP , SDPS, ICCNS
- 2013: IEEE/ACM SC/NDM, SDPS
- Jinhwan Choi
- Taejoon Kim
- Anusha Balekudru Nagaraja
- Ashwin Narasimharajapura Vijayakumar
- Guna Tamilchezhian (Software Engineer, Arcus Global Inc.)
- Sunhee Baek (Researcher, LG Electronics Research Laboratory)
- Muthahar Syed (Hadoop Developer, MetLife Inc.)
- Humberto Aguilar (Network Engineer, U.S. Air Force)
- Justin Tharp (Software Engineer, Reynolds and Reynolds)
- Umar Albalawi (Assistant Professor, University of Tabuk, Saudi Arabia)
- Dr. Ilhwan Moon: Postdoc, Jan 2013-Dec 2014
Last updated: February 23, 2018.