I am an Associate Professor of Computer Science in Computer Science Department at the Texas A&M University-Commerce since Fall 2012. My main research areas span from systems to networks, in regard to performance, scalability, and security.
Prior to joining TAMU-Commerce, I was an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania in AY 2011-2012, after my postdoctoral research at Scientific Data Management Research Group at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory for 1.5 years. I received my Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, under the guidance of Dr. Jon B. Weissman and Dr. Abhishek Chandra. Prior to that, I was a senior researcher at ETRI, a national lab in Korea, and mainly worked on broadband networking system/network management and network security over ten years.
- 05/11/2021: Dr. Kim joins as a co-chair to organize IFIP WAIN 2021 (Workshop on AI in Networks and Distributed Systems), which will be held in conjunction with IFIP Performance 2021 (Nov. 8-12, 2021).
- 05/03/2021: Dr. Kim's paper has been short-listed for the best paper award in IEEE ICBC 2021 (International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency).
- 02/20/2021: A paper by a former student (Makiya Nakashima), entitled "Automated Feature Selection for Anomaly Detection in Network Traffic Data," has been accepted for ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS).
- More news.....
Grants & Supports:
- Systems/network telemetry and analytics
- Cybersecurity analytics and intelligence
- Distributed systems, cloud/edge computing
- Machine learning, big data analytics
- (PI) Research on Intelligent Analysis Technology of Abnormal Network Traffic on Cloud
Environment, funded by ETRI, $141,000, May 2017–November 2019
- (PI) Research on Machine Learning Models for Network Traffic Anomaly Analysis, funded
by ETRI, $48,000, July 2016–January 2017
- (PI) Research on Network Traffic Classification, its Implementation and Benchmarking,
funded by Sysmate Inc., $193,723, September 2012–April 2015
- (PI) Research on Big-data Computing Platforms for Security Event Analysis, funded by
ETRI, $122,000, June 2013-February 2015
Details of my research can be found here.
- CSCI 126 Introduction to Computing
- CSCI 351/563 Foundations of Info Security
- CSCI 431 Java Programming Language
- CSCI 434/525 Computer Networks
- CSCI 528 Object-oriented Methods
- CSCI 530 Operating Systems
- CSCI 450/540 Computer Architecture
- CSCI 568 Cryptography
- CSCI 581 Network Security
- CSCI 595 Research Literature Survey & Techniques
- CSCI 497/597 Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology
Membership: IEEE (Senior member), ACM (Member), KSEA (Member)
- 2021: ACM SNTA'21 (Co-chair), IFIP WAIN'21 (Co-chair)
- 2020: ACM SNTA'20 (Co-chair)
- 2019: ACM SNTA'19 (Co-chair)
- 2018: IEEE SNTA'18 (Co-chair), UKC2018/CIT (Co-chair)
- 2021: IEEE BigDataService. SVCC
- 2020: SSDBM, IEEE BigDataService, IEEE SCI, IFIP WAIN, ICUIA, SVCC, ICUIA, IARIA INFOCOMP, IARIA ICNS
- 2019: IEEE BigDataService, ICUIA, IARIA INFOCOMP, IARIA ICNS
- 2018: IEEE NAS, IEEE BigDataService, IEEE SCI, ACM AI-Science, IARIA INFOCOMP, IARIA ICNS, IEEE BDA4CID
- 2017: IEEE NAS, IEEE SCI, IARIA INFOCOMP
- 2016: IEEE CCBD, IARIA INFOCOMP
- 2015: IEEE/ACM NDM, IEEE CCBD, IARIA INFOCOMP
- 2014: IEEE/ACM NDM, IARIA INFOCOMP, SDPS, ICCNS
- 2013: IEEE/ACM NDM, SDPS
- Prahasith Cheruku
- Yeeun Kim
- Chiho Kim
- Minji Kim
- Makiya Nakashima (Software Engineer, Cleveland Clinics)
- William Thompson
- Taejoon Kim (Software Engineer, Samsung Data Systems USA)
- Mohammad Al Olaimat (Ph.D. Student, UNT)
- Jinhwan Choi (Software Engineer, Cleveland Clinics)
- Guna Tamilchezhian (Software Engineer, Arcus Global Inc.)
- Sunhee Baek (Researcher, LG Electronics Research Laboratory, Korea)
- Muthahar Syed (Hadoop Developer, MetLife Inc.)
- Humberto Aguilar (Network Engineer, U.S. Air Force)
- Anil Katta
- Justin Tharp (Software Engineer, Reynolds and Reynolds)
- Umar Albalawi (Assistant Professor, University of Tabuk, Saudi Arabia)
- Dr. Ilhwan Moon: Postdoc, Jan 2013-Dec 2014
Last updated: September 12, 2020.